traffic rules for driving in oman
- Author- Vijaya
- Publish Date-
Oman hosts an array of scenic and Mesmerising sites and visuals. The country offers various landscapes and attractions that travellers and visitors can enjoy. From coastal towns and magnificent waterfalls to huge mountains and isolated deserts.
Any visitor who visits the country would wish to experience the visuals and scenes, however, if you are using public transport then you might. Of being able to visit and experience these places according to you as they are not going to work according to you.
Therefore, for visitors who want to experience the country to its full beauty opt for rented transport. You can rent a vehicle either on a daily or a monthly basis.
So now you have rented your car and you are ready to hit the road. But wait, before exploring the place in your car you should first have a complete knowledge about the driving rules in Oman. So, read this article to learn about the things you should know and consider before hitting the road.
CAN A FOREIGNER DRIVE IN OMAN?
Yes, the Gulf countries allow their visitors to rent a car or vehicle to drive. So Oman too, allows foreigners to rent a vehicle for themselves to explore the city.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR RENTING A CAR
This is a short checklist of the documents you would be required to have if you wish to rent a car in Oman as a foreign traveller:
- A valid tourist visa.
- A valid passport.
- Driving licence of the passport issuing country.
POINTS TO REMEMBER
- A foreign driving license holder can only rent a car and cannot drive their personal vehicle.
- The travellers should assure that their rented vehicle has a red number plate.
- If a foreigner is caught driving a personal (yellow coloured plate) car on a foreign driving visa, then this is considered driving without a driver's license.
- If caught driving without a driving license, the driver can be jailed or fined. In some cases, even the visa is terminated.
- If you are living in Oman on a residency visa then you cannot drive any vehicle either rented or personal on a foreign driving license.
- The foreign driving license can be converted to an Omani driving license. For that, you will need to cost the Royal Oman Police, who will guide you on the further procedure.
READ ALSO: OMAN VISA EXTENSION DETAILS
DRIVING RULES IN OMAN
- You must drive the vehicle on the right-hand side.
- The traffic lights must be followed and breaking them can result in a fine or/and one in jail.
- The speed limit must always be respected. With speed cameras and interceptors around the country, the Omani police make sure that speed limits are followed.
- Behave ethically on the road as obscene signs and gestures aimed at another driver, pedestrian or any person is a criminal offence.
- Minors below 4 years must travel on a children's car seat.
- Do not use a mobile phone while driving, it is illegal.
- If found intoxicated while driving, the authorities will conduct a legal action there only.
- 120km/h on motorways.
- 90km/ on open roads.
- 40km/h-80km/h on in urban centres.
SUGGESTIONS TO CONSIDER
So now you are familiar with the driving rules and laws of Oman and ready to hit the road. Before hitting the road consider these suggestions by us so that you can drive effortlessly and enjoy your driving experience in the country:
- At traffic circles, you should let those inside the circle yield first.
- Slow and pause for a moment at a point of an intersection without lights.
- Be cautious with maroon and brown cars, as they are learning drivers.
- Honk around a turn on a twisty Mountain Road.
- In areas, with less or no surveillance the traffic can get a little lawless, so in such areas be extra careful.
- In such an area you can also witness donkeys, goats and even camels, so be prepared for that and drive accordingly.
- If you wish to make the most of travelling time, then opt for a four-wheel wheel vehicle. As the country is filled with places with scorching sun and sand storms hence choosing a four-wheeler is preferred.
This information is sufficient to acquaint you with the driving rules and laws in Oman. Now you are ready to rent a car and enjoy and explore the beauty of Oman.
READ ALSO: OMAN VISA APPLICATION
Even if you are looking to travel and explore the country by car or bike, then you must fulfil the above requirements. You should also be well aware of the above-mentioned rules and regulations to make sure you don't get into any legal trouble. Lastly, consider our suggestion and advice to drive through I'm an effortlessly.
To learn more about travel to Oman, you can check the blogs on Oman IE Visa and also apply for an Oman visa very conveniently and quickly through the portal.